What is a 12V Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter Adapter?*
A 12V Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter Adapter is a DC adapter which, when plugged into your car’s cigarette lighter socket, converts it into multi-DC socket outlets to charge your Cell Phones, PDAs, MP3 Players, Tablets, Laptops, etc., simultaneously, depending on the number of sockets.
Regardless of the number of sockets, Voltage and Amperage remain the same. Let’s assume your car’s cigarette lighter socket specifications to be 12V 10A, its mere conversion to 4 outlets (thanks to the insertion of the socket splitter adapter’s plug into the cigarette lighter socket) does not increase the Amperage by a factor of 4. In other words, the maximum load (power consumed) that can be plugged into all sockets combined can not exceed 120 Watts (12V x 10A). The load is the power consumed by any electronic devices (Cell Phone, GPS, etc.) connected into the respective sockets.
As indicated in the Adapter’s name, Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter, it is obviously meant to be used in a car, which we’ll show you how (watch the video); but as a bonus, we’ll show how to use it at home as well (watch the other video).
|3-Way Socket 9794||4-Way Socket 9139|
|Twin USB Sockets 2438||Dual DC Sockets 2638|
Buying a 12V DC Multi-Socket Car Cigarette Lighter Splitter Adapter? What to look for?
In addition to features such as Multi Sockets and USB Power Ports, focus also on specifications: Amperage (Current).
- A 10Amp 12V Car Socket Charger Adapter is better than a 5Amp 12V. A respective load up to 120W vs 60W can be plugged into the former vs the latter. From the foregoing observation can be deduced the following conclusion: The higher the Amperage, the better. Once again, the load is the power consumed by any electronic devices (iPad, iPod, Tablets, etc.) plugged into the socket.
- A 5V 1000mA USB Port is better than a 5V 500mA. A 5V 1A (1000mA) Cell Phone can be charged in almost no time through a 5V 1A USB Port, whereas it takes twice as long to charge the same device through a 5V 500mA USB Port. The Car Socket Charger Adapter A vs Car Socket Charger Adapter B Table below sums it up well.
- The type of Socket Splitter Adapter you buy may be dictated by the configuration of your car’s transmission gear shifter vis-à-vis the cigarette lighter socket position. In some cars, connecting a rotating socket splitter adapter into the cigarette lighter socket may interfere with the transmission’s ability to shift into park (P). In that case, the best suitable socket splitter adapter is one with a corded plug. Otherwise, a rotating 12V Power Socket Splitter will do nicely.
Features and Specifications of the best 12V Power Socket Splitter Adapter
In our opinion, the best 12V Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter Adapter should sport the following features and specifications:
- Short Circuit Protection
- DC 12V/24V
- 10A Fused DC Terminal Input or Plug
- Power Indicator LED
- 4 DC Sockets
- USB Power Port(s)
- Minimum USB Output Voltage and Amperage (Current): 5V 1000mA
- Total Output Power: 120W (10A x 12V)
- Corded or Pivoting/Rotating/Swivel Plug
- Instructions, Caution, Safety Warnings and/or User’s Manual, and
The above features (4 Sockets, USB Port(s)) and specifications (12V 10A, USB 5V 1A) are meant to be guidelines, not straight jacket rules. If, however, you come across a good deal on a 12V Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter Adapter whose features (3 sockets, USB Port) and specifications (12V 5A, USB 5V 500mA) meet your electronic devices’ (Cell Phone, MP3 Player, etc.) charging requirements and specifications, snatch it!
Different types of 12V Socket Splitter Adapters
When it’s time to purchase a multi-socket cigarette lighter adapter, you’ll be exposed to a dizzying array of choices, ranging from a Single Socket Splitter with/without USB Port(s) to a 5 Way Cigarette Lighter Adapter with/without USB Port(s). Pick the one that suits best your need, with respect to features, specifications, warranty, and functionality. In your shopping, you’ll likely come across those Multi-Socket Cigarette Lighter Adapters-related terms:
- 1-Way Socket Car Cigarette Power Adapter Lighter Splitter Dual Twin USB
- 2-Way 12V Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter Charger with USB Port(s) and LED Light
- 3-Way Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter 12V/24V with USB and LED Light Switch
- 4-Way Socket 12V/24V DC Car Cigarette Lighter Splitter and USB Adapter
- 5-Way 12V Car Multi Socket Cigarette Lighter Splitter Adapter
Regardless of the terminology used to describe a car multi-socket adapter, it simply means one thing: a 12V/24V DC car cigarette lighter adapter with multiple sockets and optional USB Port(s).
How to use the 12V Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter Adapter at home
To use the 12V Automotive Socket Extender at home, you need:
- Power Source (Battery, Power Supply, Jump Starter or AC to DC Power Adapter*). In our demonstration, we’ll use a car battery as a power source and/or a Compact Multipurpose Emergency Power Supply Unit.
- Battery Post and Terminal Cleaner Set
- 12V Car Cigarette Socket Splitter Adapter (obviously)
- Electronic Gadgets to connect into the sockets, and a
- 12V Battery Clip Power Adapter
How to use the 12V Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter Adapter in your car
To use the 12V Automotive Socket Extender in your car, you need:
- A working cigarette lighter socket. If it is out-of-order, a blown fuse may be the culprit. If so, replace. To locate the fuse box, read the car’s owner’s manual, and abide by the manufacturer’s fuse rating and specifications.
- Plug the Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter Adapter into the car’s cigarette lighter socket, and connect your electronic gadget(s) into the split sockets.
*AC to DC Power Adapter
If you use an AC to DC Power Adapter as a source of power, the load that can be plugged into your 12V Car Cigarette Socket Splitter Adapter is determined by the AC to DC Power Adapter specifications, not by the Socket Splitter Adapter’s. For instances, if the AC to DC Adapter’s Output (Voltage and Amperage) is 12V 500mA, the maximum load is a meager 6W (12V x .5A). If you need to increase the load, use an AC to DC Power Adapter with a higher Amperage (Current) Output. We’ve seen AC to DC Adapters whose Output ranges from 12V 4A – 12V 10A.
A 12V Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter Adapter is also known as…
A 12V Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter Adapter is also known as a 12V Car Cigarette Socket Adapter, 12V Power Socket Splitter, 12V Car Socket Charger Adapter, 12V Cigarette Lighter Sockets’ Splitter Charger Power Adapter, 12V Automotive Socket Extender, etc.
We hope that you’ve learned a thing or two about 12V/24V DC Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter Adapters. When you are ready to buy, armed with the acquired knowledge (thanks to our free article), you’ll be in a position of strength.
You might be interested in the following versatile Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter Adapters:
- PowerCup 6.2 2886