How To Convert Any 100-240V AC Outlet Into A 12V DC Socket Adapter*
If you buy an Emergency Power Supply Unit, be it a Wagan’s Power Dome EX 2454, Power Dome NX 2485, or Power Dome 400 2354, etc., they all come with two (2) chargers: an AC Recharging Adapter and a DC Recharging Adapter. If the former is defective or out-of-order, which prevents home charging (AC); the latter can be used for DC charging in your car.
But what if you want to use the DC Charger at home, can it be done without the inter-mediation of a converter? Unfortunately not, unless you have a key missing component – Universal AC to DC Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Adapter.
A Universal AC to DC Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Adapter will enable you to charge not only the aforesaid Emergency Power Suppliers, but also cell phones, tablets, cameras, MP3 players, etc. You can even power 12V DC appliances.
AC to DC Power Converters come in different sizes and specifications. Your choice of power converter is determined by the type of appliances and electronic gadgets you want to respectively power and charge. Consequently, before buying any power converters, read and compare your devices’ power consumption needs to the power converter’s output specifications. If the output meets or exceeds the needs, then your choice of AC to DC Power Converter is a judicious, well thought out one.
|AC to DC 5-Amp Power Adapter 9903||Traveler's Adapter 2025: A Must-Have|
There are plenty of brands and models to choose from:
- INSTEN Universal AC to DC Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Adapter,
- Schumacher PC-6 AC to DC Power Converter,
- Sunforce AC to DC Power Converter,
- Wagan 9903 5 Amp AC to 12V DC Power Adapter,
- Wagan 2435 Cell Phone/PDA Travel Adapter – USB,
- Wagan 2025 Cell Phone/PDA Travel Adapter,
- Sima SPC-12V PowerMax Cellular AC to DC Converter,
- BESTEK 7 Amp AC to 12V DC Power Supply Socket,
- Intocircuit AC to DC 12V 6A Power Supply Adapter Charger Car Cigarette Socket,
- Szxingshun AC to DC Socket Adapter with Dual USB Port, etc. – to name just a few. Pick the one that best suits your needs.
* Caution: Do not insert fingers into a live 12V DC receptacle. Risk of electrocution. Always read and save the owner’s manual before use.
In addition to safety, warnings and cautions, close attention must be paid to Output: Voltage and Amperage. The AC to DC Power Converter may not be able to power your DC appliances or charge your electronics, if its output fails to meet or exceed their energy consumption requirements. In other words, do not expect the Wagan 2025 Cell Phone/PDA Travel Adapter, for instance, to power a cooler/warmer, but it can charge a digital camera or an MP3 player.
Based on that observation, two conclusions can be drawn:
- It’s better to buy an AC to DC Power Converter with a higher output.
- Of all the AC to DC Power Converters included in the comparison table, the Schumacher AC to DC Power Converter is best (72W); the Sunforce AC to DC Power Converter is better (69.6W); and the Wagan 9903 5 Amp AC to 12v DC Power Adapter is good (60W), power output-wise, Voltage x Amperage.
How about the other suspects – Wagan 2435 Cell Phone/PDA Travel Adapter – USB and Wagan 2025 Cell Phone/PDA Travel Adapter? We will not discard them wholesale. They are good for charging and powering electronics with low energy consumption such as cell phones, cameras, MP3 Players, PDAs, etc. It’s worth noting that the Wagan 2435 Cell Phone/PDA Travel Adapter – USB has a bonus USB port.
Using The AC To DC Power Converter
To Use the AC To DC Power Converter, you need:
- AC Power Source
- Surge Protector (optional)
- AC to DC Power Converter (evidently)
- Cigarette Lighter Plug, USB Car Adapter, or DC to DC Converter, and
- Electronic devices to charge or power: cell phone, jump starter, camera, MP3 player, etc.
How To Proceed
- First, read the AC to DC Power Converter’s owner’s manual, if any, and abide by the manufacturer’s instructions, which always prevail if they conflict with our step-by-step process outlined herein.
- With its switch OFF, plug the Surge Protector into the AC Outlet**.
- Connect the AC to DC Power Converter into the Surge Protector’s AC Outlet (switch OFF).
- Insert one end of the Cigarette Lighter Plug, USB Car Adapter, or DC to DC Converter into the AC to DC Power Converter’s receptacle. Do not insert fingers into the live 12V DC receptacle. Electrocution may ensue.
- Plug the other end of either aforementioned adapter into the units to charge or power, and
- Turn ON the Surge Protector (flip the switch). The powered AC to DC Power Converter should start charging or powering the intended units – cell phone, jump starter, MP3 player, camera, etc.
- Once the units are charged, turn OFF the Surge Protector, and disconnect the components.
- Enjoy! Courtesy of Solarnia.com
You might be interested also in: